Review Request: an overlay effect element for framesvg

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 12 18:32:57 CET 2009

On Monday 12 January 2009, Nuno Pinheiro wrote:
> > define "randomly"
>
> The idea for this case was that plasmoid A gets the same exact look every
> time but the bg of plasmoid A is diferent from plasmoid B.

does it matter what the widget is (e.g. "digital-clock") or just that it's the
same for that same widget when plasma re-loads?

e.g. would it be alright to randomly pick a location for the applet background
effect for each widget and then stick to that? or do we need to hardcode
positions for, e.g., "digital-clock"? (that actually wouldn't work in
practice, but i'll ask anyways to figure out what you're planning =)

there are five ways this could be done without being too crazy:

* hardcoded locations for different widgets. this could be done per-widget,
allowing them to specify where the effect "looks best". in this manner, all
widgets of the same type would have complete control over its positioning and
each instance of that type of widget would look identical. this does remove
some of the control from the theme designer as the widget would now be
involved in saying where the effect should appear.

* random position whenever a widget is created. this would result in every
widget having a (potentially) unique position, and this position would change
between launches of plasma.

* random position whenever a widget is *first* created. this would result in
every widget having a (potentially) unique position, but the position would
remain constant between launches of plasma

* random position per widget type. this would would result in each type of
widget (e.g. "digital-clock") having a (potentially) unique position, but all
instances of the widget would look the same (so all digital-clocks would have
the same look). on each launch of plasma, this random position would be
recalculated whenever a new type of widget appears.

* constant random position per widget type. this would would result in each
type of widget (e.g. "digital-clock") having a (potentially) unique position,
but all instances of the widget would look the same (so all digital-clocks
would have the same look), and this position would be maintained between
launches of plasma until the configuration files were removed.

which most closely matches your vision of things?

humru othro a kohnu se