Questions about Plasma Activities

Virtual Sky Solutions virtualsky.sk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 23:01:29 CET 2009

Regarding the checkerboard background when the ZUI is "Zoomed out"...

>* > > i've thought about a gradient, but that would be a rather unecessary
*>* > > abuse of horsepower imo ... i've though about putting a
default wallpaper
*>* > > there but that stands a really good chance of making the activities
*>* > > harder to see.
*> >*
*>* > That makes plenty of sense. But still, I wonder if there isn't a more
*> >* elegant solution.
*
> > i'm open to suggestions =)

> The desktop theme seems to be global (same for all containments), so
> how about making the background themable? Let the theme decide what to
> draw as a background. And maybe add shadows to the activities to make
> them stand out more and/or frames. Or let the theme decide that too?

> Hans

After posting on the KDE forums regarding this issue with the ZUI "Zoom Out"
view, I was sent a link to this discussion thread.

Apart from making the background "themeable", how about changing the colours of
the checkerboard grid to match more along the lines of what the user might
have set in his/her desktop (wallpaper) settings.

If the colour in the wallpaper settings has been set to black (for example),
then one checkerboard square is black and other is a few shades lighter.

It's still a checkerboard but it also fits the entire theme of the desktop
a little better - hence more elegant.

David.