kde community plasma integration

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 20:03:39 CET 2009

> From: Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>
> So what do you think about this ideas? Please post your ideas and thoughts. I
> will work on the API and the openDesktop.org integration. I hope that other
> websites join and implement this API too.
>
> So all we need are plasmoid developers to integrate this features into the
> desktop. ;-)
>
> I think together we can build something really new in innovative for KDE 4.3
>

> Cheers
> Frank

This is great stuff Frank.  Thanks for sharing them.  I'm sure this was already thought about but I'll offer them anyway.  I'm excited about the potential of GHNS as currently one of the most visible touch points with the community, so that's where my ideas start:
- integrated rating submission
- integrated uploading of content  (e.g. It would be cool if I could extend Desktop Theme Details to allow the user to upload new plasma themes or theme items they create, or upload a new wallpaper I created in Krita or digiKam).
- perusal by author/artist/artists-near-me/users-who-liked-this-also-like/users-near-me-also-like/etc.
- integrated fan/subscription declaration
-doing any/all of the above in a library/service layer so that getting it into the rest of the app(s) (including integration with nepomuk) is trivial.
- a plasmoid showing subcribed or updated content that allows the users to directly load the GHNS module for the content type selected.
- link protocol or mimetype to allow common GHNS installation of downloaded content.

Anyway, it looks like a bit of this may already be implemented on the server side API at OpenDesktop.org. Is that true?

One of the most valuable pieces of real community is the participatory impulse that comes from the blurring of the line between those who create (producers) and those who experience what's created (consumers).  Community, by my view, thrives on this line blurring, especially when the blurring is well executed.

Hope this helps,
Andrew (Jamboarder) Lake