battery applet - charge time instead of charge percentage.

Marcos Dione mdione at grulic.org.ar
Tue Jan 6 18:08:50 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 03:32:04AM +0100, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009 01:14:03 Marcos Dione wrote:
> >     the third one is avoidable, really. I coded it so when the battery
> > is fully charged it shows 'Charged' instead of 0:00. the problem is that
> > right now it doesn't set its width (not again!) so the tect fits. this
> > can be 'solved' just removing an simple if until I hack the final code.
>
> Hm, are you sure it makes sense to show the time when it's plugged in? Is that
> actually the "time remaining until fully charged"? I looked at getting this
> information some time ago, but I think I couldn't find it ...

    it seems to be that, yes, but is not accurate. right now my NB is
recharging after a disconnected and hibernated night. the light shows it
has already finished, but the applet shows 0:05. maybe it's because the
data hasn't updated yet (in hal or solid or the powerdevil dataengine),
but while I was typing this mail it changed to 'Charged' and to 0:05
back again and to Charged again. I think the smoothing that Chani
proposes should be the next step after I clean the patch as you sugeest.

> - the changes in updateStatus() seem a bit random, and I don't grok all of
>   them, would be good if it was removed.

    ack. I have to figure out exactly when to update so the view doesn't
lag behind the events.

> - Making the label wider than 4 chars starts to randomly stretch it. We need a
>   way to keep that label small and clean. Definitely no localized string
>   though. Remember that the applet as such is supposed to work at small sizes
>   like 22x22 pixels (maybe you can make it display more information only when
>   there's enough space?)

    ok, I'll be more careful about this.

> - Cleanup of commented stuff and debugging

    sure. I wish we already had a DVCS :|

--
(Not so) Random fortune:
17:06 < cramm> lo que no hayaron es el cuerpo de [nina reiser]