new system tray spec

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 10:22:58 CET 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Richard has transscribed the results from the system tray session at
> TokamakII to techbase, and I've added some things to it to make it more
> clear. It lacks quite a bit of 'real meat' still, which is why we all
> should have a good look at it. (Especially since work is already under way
> to implement it, thanks to Marco... :-))
>
> The current state of the draft is at
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/NewSystemTray
>
> cheers,
to summarize the work,
in the systray applet folder there is a kded used to register apps with a
systemtray icon, so they can survive even if plasma crashes

and protocols/dbussystemtray is the actual icon placing machinery in the
systray
to see everything it does, if you have for instance kmail open you can type

qdbus org.kde.SystemTrayDaemon /SystemTrayWatcher registerService
org.kde.kmail
and a little work-in progress helmet icon will appear in the systemtray, for
now that's it :p

on the client side, there is libknotificationicon in playground, along with a
stub dbus service xml of the spec (dunno if works, not tried),
knotificationicon would be a drop-in replacement of ksystemtrayicon, with the
same api, now works, but it simply wraps ksystemtrayicon and nothing else
it's a bit on hold since aaron wanted to give it a go at the client side

now i'll try to summarize better those things in the wiki i guess

Cheers,
Marco Martin