plasma-mid

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Feb 20 04:53:28 CET 2009

hi all ...

there was some discussion on #plasma today about plasma-mid. the short story
is that we got all excited about it at the last akademy and then subsequently
got sidetracked from it when we all focused on making the traditional desktop
rock a little harder. fair enough.

but we ought to turn some guns on plasma-mid as well, but only if we have them
to spare.

realistically, i'm already maxed out and can't give it the care, attention and
love it will take to make plasma-mid all that it should be. i can be here to
support that effort and even contribute, but for it to become a reality,
someone needs to make it Their Baby.

is there anyone on the list who'd be up for that? it would mean:

* ensuring there's a coherent design for the netbook/mid style interface

* watching patches as they go in

* coordinating (not doing :) artwork and other design bits for it

* communicating the needs of plasma-mid to the plasma community here on the
list

the good news is that there is already a pretty good start to things in
playground and a lot of the work we're doing elsewhere is applicable so it's
not a from-the-ground-up or you're-on-your-own project. it just needs a
caretaker who can concentrate on it.

if you're already busy with other important plasma things (yes, i'm looking at
you marco ;) please don't shift your attention just because of this email.
worst case scenario is plasma-mid sits for a little longer, best case is that
someone with some time available each week who hasn't found "their niche" yet
in plasma will be excited about helping create the future of netbooks and get
obsessed with plasma-mid. :)

humru othro a kohnu se