Plasma, ARGB and 4.5

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Wed Feb 18 21:33:35 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 February 2009, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
>
> > > seems to work quite good, except for two things:
> > > the tooltips seems to insist that they don't want to be transparent
> > > the systemtray has garbage again with the raster graphicssystem (so i
> > > didn't dream it up) i'm not sure if that's the case also with the old
> > > method btw
> >
> > Reverting r907753 should fix the systray icons.
> >
> > You'll have to read my reply on kde-commits for the details, but the short
> > version is that the move to using Qt::WA_TranslucentBackground combined
> > with that patch means that Plasma is now explicitly telling Qt (and Gtk) to
> > not use real transparency for the systray icons.
>
> the strange thing is that i don't get junk with x11 graphics system,
> while i get it for all icons with raster graphicssystem.
> reverting that patch it fixes only qt4 icons but not qt3 and gtk ones

It looks like there's still an assumption in the systray in the non-
composited case that a QPixmap is an X pixmap.

The bad news is that it doesn't look trivial to fix.

> by the way, could make sense something like this?
> forces 32 bits only when there are more than 16

The patch ddenis submitted assumes that the X server creates an ARGB
visual for each depth and that Plasma should choose the one that
corresponds to the display depth.

That assumption is wrong; the X server only creates one ARGB visual, it's
always 32 bits and it works regardless of the display depth.

So the code that was there before the patch was committed was correct.
The patch didn't fix anything because there's nothing to fix, but it broke
things that weren't broken before.

Regards,
Fredrik