how to set up for plasma development

San Jo sanjo_ie at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 20:36:01 CET 2009

hi there,

i want to do some plasma hacking, specifically on the picture frame widget. i haven't done any kde development before and don't have much c++ experience. i have a few newbie questions...

i've checked out the plasma trunk ok, and saw that i also need qt 4.5 rc1 to compile plasma now.

1) do i need to check out the *whole* kde trunk to compile plasma, or is just the kdeplasma-addons directory enough?
2) will installing qt 4.5rc1 or compiling new plasma widgets mess up my current fedora 10 installation of kde 4.2 and existing widgets?

sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but i don't want to start developing things and mess up my machine.

sanjo