New systemtray: beginnings and how to do

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Feb 16 18:28:05 CET 2009

On Sunday 15 February 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> this basic thing works fairly well by now, what is totally missing of
> course is the big part, the comunication infrastructure with the app (don't

how to do this is going to be the big trick in all of this. the d-bus
interaction is actually pretty simple, but preserving backwards compat will be
interesting to accomplish.

we have KSystemTrayIcon which IsA QSystemTrayIcon. so even if we implement the
D-Bus protocol in KSystemTrayIcon, we'll always have a QSystemTrayIcon, and
therefore a regular system tray icon, as well.

what we really want is an API that takes the various possible information
(icon, name, tooltip, etc, etc) and internally decides whether or not to use
the D-Bus route or to use a KSystemTrayIcon internally and provide the other
fun bits (e.g. the tooltip) "manually".

so this seems to indicate that we probably want a new class that will
eventually end up in libkdeui. it should have a name that doesn't include
"SystemTray" in it, and it should be source compatible as much as possible
with KSystemTrayIcon so that it can be used as a drop-in replacement or as
close to a drop-in as possible.

KNotificationIcon? meh.

> so what would need to go in workspace would be the daemon and the protocol

that's cool with me. for now, let's put the kded plugin in with the systemtray
widget. when it gets accepted as an official KDE bit, we can move it somwhere
else, though i think it should remain in workspace and only get started when a
KDE desktop session is being started.

humru othro a kohnu se