battery monitor plasmoid changes

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Thu Feb 12 23:57:54 CET 2009

A Thursday 12 February 2009 18:54:50, você escreveu:
> Hi Roman,
>
> CC:ing kubuntu-devel, plasma-devel and Nuno, for reasons, read on.
>
> On Wednesday 11 February 2009 05:25:17 Roman Shtylman wrote:
> > I pulled the kde 4.2 source for the battery monitor plasmoid and made
> > a few changes which I will detail below. I am new to actually
> > contributing to such a large project and have read that the best way
> > to start is to just email patch files to the developer, so I have
> > aimed to do just that.
>
> Posting to plasma-devel is even better, in terms of bus numbers and latency
> of my inbox, which is especially high when traveling.
>
> > My biggest gripe with the plasmoid was that the battery display
> > (graphical representation) sectioned off the battery charge indication
> > into 4 large chunks. I instead wanted to be able to have a continuous
> > display (common to other battery meters) that would be more clear
> > graphically about what the battery level was.

higly discussuble most, comon representation is discrete not continous

> Fair enough.
>
> > To accomplish this I added another layer to the svgz icon as well as a
> > configuration option to allow the user to choose the old style display
> > (4 separate blocks) or my continuous mode display.
>
> I personally think it doesn't need its own config option, instead I'd go
> for just making it default. Thing is that it's an artwork issue, which is
> Nuno's domain.
>
> Basically, additionally to your issue (which I think is a valid point,
> especially interesting for larger / higher dpi representations of the
> applet Nuno asked me if I could do some stepping, so we don't get the SVG
> rendered at for example 27 pixels which *will* produce bad results. Instead
> the applet should, based on its size be rendered at 16, 22, 32 and 48
> pixels. Starting with that size, it could probably just scale up.
>
> Is that something you'd like to tackle? I'd be happy to provide feedback to
> the code. Not sure if Nuno wants to put a completely new SVG in, for a
> continuous display of fill rate, that might be a good idea.
>
> Nuno, any input on this?

yes i think we can overal do a beter batery icon... the continous/discrete
display fight is a bit geek if you ask me. its easy to get 10 difrent values
on a discrete model... that is 10% variations... perfectly fine and looks
beter IMO. plus its usuly simpler to read..

--
Oxygen coordinator