KWin Dashboard effect

Martin Gräßlin kde at martin-graesslin.com
Wed Feb 11 10:59:33 CET 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 04:09:28 Lucas Murray wrote:
> If the widgets are separated from the wallpaper and placed in a window
> with a transparent background it would be possible for KWin to raise
> them and add the dashboard background behind it fluidly.
That's what I want to do with the dashboard effect ;-)
> Problems occur when the user is not using KWin though and so the existing
> functionality would be required to stay as a fallback.
If we work on that we should ensure that it is at least possible for other WMs
like Compiz to provide the same functionality. It would be sad if people lose
great parts of user experience because they need
$fancy_compiz_effect_not_available_in_kwin (you don't beleive how often I heard
that users consider using KWin again just because we now have the cube as well
:-( ). In general I think we should inform compiz developers about all the
interaction between plasma and kwin. E.g. having taskbar thumbnails in plasma
tooltips as well if using Compiz (don't know if Compiz implemented that
already).