Plasma and KWin Integration

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 04:13:00 CET 2009

On Monday 09 February 2009 22:21:07 Lucas Murray wrote:
> > There are a number of effects that would be possible within plasma and
> > other applications if it was possible to obtain a full pixmap of a window
> > (even if it is obscured). This information is available to kwin and used
> > for compositing, the idea would be to publish it for use by other
> > applications.
> >
> > Our idea was that maybe this could be handled in a suitably performant
> > way by using QPixmaps that share an XPixmap handle between both kwin and
> > the client application (plasma in our case).
>
> The moment you do this you can no longer use Qt 4.5's raster engine in
> the Plasma desktop as an XPixmap is no longer a QPixmap. I keep
> reading everywhere that raster engine was specifically designed with
> Plasma in mind.

Well, whoever is saying that is wrong. Using the raster engine is the opposite
of what Plasma wants. The person who wrote a blog entry about how to make it
the default in Qt has been doing a huge disservice to the whole community.

Also in this particular point it would be good if someone could elaborate what
exactly is missing from Xcomposite that KWin integration is needed.