Plasma and KWin Integration

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 13:44:40 CET 2009

> > 8. Document modal windows.
> >
> > Having a way to handle document-modal windows along the lines of the
> Sheets in
> > MacOS. These would be positioned over their parent window and move with
> the
> > parent.
>
> If there is a detach button and doesn't interfere with resizing of the
> sheet I have no problem with this feature. I extremely regularly move
> file open/save dialogs around to see what's in the parent and resize
> them so I can more quickly get to the file I want.

Instead of using a separate dialog-box (even if it was integrated one, like
sheets is MacOS), how about presenting the dialog-box as part of the "master
window"? The windows could resize a bit, providing a space for the
dialog-box between the titlebar and the toolbar (for example). It would not
obscure the content at all, and once the user dismisses the dialog, the
space is re-claimed for the app. Of course it would have to be made obvious
to the user, so that he notices it. OR it could be at the bottom of the
window. If you want an example of what I'm suggesting, think of a
Konsole-window that is displayed inside Konqueror-window:

http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase-apps/konqueror/commandline.html

Instead of Konsole, imagine a dialog-box in it's place. This approach would
mean that the contents of the window would still be visible, but the dialog
would be explicitly tied to the content it's related to.