Plasma and KWin Integration

Lucas Murray lmurray at undefinedfire.com
Tue Feb 10 10:28:11 CET 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Lucas Murray
<lmurray at undefinedfire.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Richard Moore <richmoore44 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 10. Alt-Tab to desktop and panel
>>
>> The desktop and panel need to be able to get the keyboard focus to allow users
>> without keyboards to activate and use them.
>
> I like it. How can KWin detect if Plasma is running (So KWin can run
> without Plasma) and trigger the dashboard when selected? For things
> like box switch and the like we will also need a thumbnail of the
> dashboard. As X doesn't create thumbnails of non-existent or unmapped
> windows the dashboard will need to always be mapped and placed behind
> the desktop window. Doing this will also solve the white screen issue
> when the dashboard is shown.

Oh wow, how did I manage to completely misread that? I somehow thought
you were talking about "Alt-Tab to dashboard" and not the desktop or
panel. My bad, my bad. ^_^;

To answer the original proposal: Is it really necessary to have
keyboard focus on the panel? The desktop sure, but the panel? What's
on the panel that isn't already accessible by other (Or possible)
shortcuts?