battery shrinking problem in battery plasmoid

matthias sweertvaegher matthias.sweertvaegher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 22:32:47 CET 2009

hi sebas

sorry for my late reply, caught some fever this week

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:51 AM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:

>> First, thanks for having the guts to create a whole new
>> rearchitectured desktop environment from scratch. :)
>> also I guess for devs, it must be extra motivating to be able to
>> contribute to still such a "pure" project.
>
> Yup, the pristine code base and not having to deal with a lot of old cruft is
> very nice to have. But that's true for most of KDE actually, since 4.0 allowed
> us to clean up big time. :)

yes, I realize it is not plasma specific and I originally wrote this paragraph
more accurately but then realized it was too much 'intro/blabla' for a
simple bug report mail ;) also, to be right, I would have to send it then
to all kde devs and not just plasma, so I just cut most of the paragraph
and stuck to the plasma subject =) ;)

>> anyway, in trying to get involved with my number one favorite FOSS
>> project (KDE of course ;)), I am starting an effort in trying to fix
>> my own pet bugs =) One down in the ksysguard, next is battery applet
>>
>> :)
>
> two down :)

heh. just like that? too easy! ;)
I was expecting at least some more debugging work ;)

>> Here are my current findings:
>> - the bug only occurs after having used the configuration dialog
>> - seems disconnecting doesn't work? the plasmoid thinks there are more
>> batteries ( I printed the battery_num var), but only 2 valid ones are
>> detected (which is correct of course)
>>
>> why does the reconnection have to happen anyway? so, of course, when I
>> disable the disconnect/reconnect code after the configuration is done,
>> everything is fine (except maybe some memory leak I'm not aware off
>> ;)). I tried debugging the events, but I don't manage to pull a lot of
>> information out of it. So, I'm stuck.
>
> Apparently the sourceAdded() connection wasn't disconnected correctly for all
> battery sources. The reconnect thing is probably some relic of the past, and
> it shouldn't be needed anymore. Your solution of removing the disconnect magic
> sounds right to me, and it indeed fixes #178116. It also results in a patch
> with
>
>  workspace/plasma/applets/battery/battery.cpp |   19 -------------------
>  workspace/plasma/applets/battery/battery.h   |    1 -
>
> Which is the best kind of bugfix (without losing functionality) there is. :)

:D I am puzzled though why some battery source wouldn't disconnect
properly.. but I guess one can't have all answers in life ;) I'll just
have to take on another bug to suppress this question.

> I've committed (and effectively undid your previous change), thanks for

what do you mean, my previous change? I can't commit..

anyway, thanks for the comments!
and as a reporter, I am supposed to close the bug, right?

greets
matthias