Desktop containment question

Ambroz Bizjak ambro at b4ever.net
Wed Feb 4 18:41:05 CET 2009

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 18:06:15 Jamboarder wrote:
> > From: Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at gmail.com>
> > Right now, there is no possibility to place widgets so that they go off
> > the desktop edge. If you place them like that, they pop back in when the
> > widget handles disappear.
> >
> > The problem is not the first fact, but the pop-back-in behavior is a bit
> > peculiar. Proposed solution would be not to allow widgets to move that
> > far if they can not remain there later.
>
> +1
>
> Perhaps we could also consider reducing the current invisible boundary near
> the screen edges to zero to allow widgets to sit at the edge of the
> containment (and soak up a little of the Fitts Law goodness the panel
> already benefits from).

The screen edge boundary is controlled by the ScreenSpacing attribute in
DesktopLayout, measured from the outer edge of the applet, which is currently
set to 5 in DefaultDesktop (desktop.cpp).

Allowing the border to be outside the screen seems like a good idea and I can
implement it, but should this be the default behavior?