taskmanager project

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 3 19:58:21 CET 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009, Casper Clemence wrote:
> >you mean like the tooltip that shows up over non-grouped items?
>
> Not really - this is like an auxiliary task-manager for the group...
> perhaps a mock-up...
>
> http://maninalift.blogspot.com/2009/02/crappy-schematic.html
>
> There you go. The main thing is it behaves just like the task-bar.

hmm.. yes, this will conflict with the tooltip, unless the tooltips show up
when hovering the items in the menu, but that's going to look rather odd
aesthetically; worse, it can't auto-time out, unless that time out is
significantly long (since it needs to give the user enough time to interact
with it) which means you can't just pop your mouse over the toolbar (which is
by default at the bottom center of the screen!) because you'll get these
permanent or at best long-lasting popups.

we have pop-the-left-click-menu-on-drag-hover, though.. which makes sense as
it's an active user interaction.

what i'd prefer to see happen are tooltips that shows multiple thumbnails /
group information and the "bring all to front on click" for manual grouping
(it already has a distinction between click-release, click-hold and click-drag
..) could go in as an experiment to see how manual-group users find it.

humru othro a kohnu se