battery shrinking problem in battery plasmoid

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 3 04:17:47 CET 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009, matthias sweertvaegher wrote:
> btw, can somebody explain what's the deal with applets? I thought they
> were called plasmoids today and that the word applet was forbidden now
> ;) but in the sourcetree there are all kinds of references to applet.

there are two places "applet" appears:

in the source code tree (e.g. plasma/applets/battery) and that should probably
be changed to plasmoids. the name "plasmoid" came after applets when i began
to realize that we'd end up with non-plasma widgets available to users. so
this is a historical relic.

the Applet class in the source tree. in name, this mimics the Applet class
from kicker. it is now the "meta-concept" for all widgets: regardless of
whether it is a plasmoid, a google gadget, edje, etc they are all, to the
internal Plasma code, Applets.

as for what a "Plasmoid" is: Plasmoids are native Plasma widgets that use the
libplasma API.

p.s. welcome to KDE and Plasma dev :)

humru othro a kohnu se