taskmanager project

Casper Clemence maninalift at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 2 12:07:18 CET 2009

Hi all. I am starting out hacking on KDE and I wanted to check that I'm not
stepping on any toes.

I've never used Qt or kdelibs before and I have a full time "day job" so I
might take a while. Anyway I hope I can be useful and not just a pain. I will
do some bugfixing I promise, but I think I'll learn better by trying to
implement some design.

What I'm working on is the "workspace/plasma/applets/tasks" task-manager. In
particular the grouping behaviour.

AIM:
(1) on mouseover (of a group item) a taskbar-like widget pops out showing the
members of the group it's behaviour and appearence is the same as the main
taskbar.
(2) left-click peforms bring to front/minimise/restore action on whole group
(3) right-click context menu remain the same

...I hope it's clear what I mean :)

JUSTIFICATION:
(1) Using a taskbar-like widget rather than a visually different menu means
the user does not have to switch her mental model and should therefore be more
intuitive: doesn't "make the user think".
(2) Makes the mouse interaction more consistent: left-click on a window item
brings that window to the front, left click on a group item brings that group
to the front.
(3) means that bringing forward a window that is part of a group or a whole
group both require one click not two, as they do currently.

If you think this is stupid or it likely conflicts with something that is
already being done, let me know.

Cheers,

Casper