Review Request: Bug 198661 (Option to disable scroll wheel on taskbar)

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 03:43:04 CET 2009

> is there a real, common and valid use case that states "i
> want to do mouse wheeling over the tasks widget but not
> the pager?" i'd suggest the answer is no.

With respect, I am not sure this is true. I personally have had no
problems with things being "wheel-enabled" anywhere else besides the
taskbar (well, maybe the desktop, but that's already configurable). In
many places it is quite convenient.

Why?
There are two general cases which tend to happen:

(1) I am scrolling through a web page, .cpp file, etc., and my finger,
for half a moment, veers outside of the thin strip at the edge of the
touchpad designated for scrolling, causing the cursor to move a
hundred or so pixels downward onto the taskbar, where the rest of the
scrolling motion is then finished.
(2) I am reading a document, and after getting to the bottom of it, I
scroll downwards, not realizing that the cursor is in fact resting
over the taskbar and not the document.

In either case, this leads to severe disruption of concentration and
general chaos.

Why is this only a problem with the taskbar (and the desktop), and not
other things? I suggest it is because the taskbar is a big huge target
(even bigger and huger due to Fitt's Law) along the middle of the
bottom of the screen, making it very easy to move the cursor over it
accidentally, whereas other things aren't. I mean, I guess if someone
decided to put a giant clock or pager along the middle of their bottom
panel they would have similar issues, but who does that?

Minimizing the number of configuration options is a noble goal, and
your concern that once this option is granted for the taskbar it's a
slippery slope and it'll end up proliferating all over the place is
understandable, but I don't think, in this case, that those
assumptions are actually self-evident.