Working method for focusing widgets in panels and keyboard navigation for Tasks applet

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 10:45:06 CEST 2009

On 21-08-2009 at 22:29:17 Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 21 August 2009, Emdek wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> As we talked yesterday on IRC, on notmart request I'll now describe how
>> works (to allow to discuss that on Tokamak) this quite simply hack,
>> workaround, only sensible method (;-)) or name it whatever you like.
>>

> as i said it's kinda brutal, the alternative is making kwin give focus to
> docks in a normal way, but it would have so many drawbacks...
> using this in every applet is a big no no for sure, what about putting
> it in
> PanelView slot and having Applet::focusRequested(QGraphicsWidget*) signal
> connected to it?
> not super-pretty as well, but i think it would be a good compromise

I think that applet shouldn't have methods like this, but there is enum
Plasma::ItemStatus, maybe this could go there if needed?
I think that this method could be invoked internally when invoking applet
global shortcut (menat to give focus, right?) and on mousepress (only if
Plasma window is not active?), maybe other cases.
There could be of course both solution available, first "manual" focus
request, and second auto focus.
It's better to do it behind scenes, easier to replace by better solution,
if any found. ;-)