plasmoidviewer patch

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 20:36:04 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 11 August 2009, Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 August 2009 19:39:01 Chani wrote:
> > On August 11, 2009 06:23:44 Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> > > Taking inspiration from a number of wishes on bko i've come up with a
> > >  trivial patch for plasmoidviewer which adds a commandline option which
> > >  sets the background of the window to be translucent. This in principle
> > >  allows to have a plasmoid floating around on the desktop as a real
> > > window, and looking as nice as a plasmoid (with composite enabled and
> > > noborders). It has the drawback of allowing a user to break plasma, by
> > > having standalone plasmoids which don't belong to regular containments,
> > > won't show up in the dashboard, etc etc. However, I've already seen a
> > > couple of wishes that pretty much requested the ability to break the
> > > concept and to put plasmoids in foreground. Even if I don't feel it
> > > useful (although there's a whole lot of things which I don't feel
> > > useful but people use them on a daily basis) I'd like to hear from you
> > > if I should even put it up on the reviewboard. In my opinion such
> > > option would be enough hidden from the average user and would basically
> > > only be used by some diehard hackers who then will not complain if
> > > things don't behave as expected, so it would be basically harmless.
> >
> > ok, put it on reviewboard.
> >
> > so long as plasmoidviewer remains useful as a developer tool. :)
> >
> > my concern, though, is that this patch will result in requests for more
> > of the same.
>
> That's precisely my concern too.

yeah, altough is a nice feature then wouldn't be trivial to see how to resize
the window, then an handle should be implemented, then different
plasmoidviewers should use different config files of sharing one in an
intelligent way... kinda a can of worms..
i was thinking abound doing a plasma shell used exactly for using plasmoids as
"standalone apps" for the netbook thinghie, i can't guarantee neither when
i'll do it neither if i'll do it, but yeah, would be worth to be a separate
project perhaps

> > although there are things that could be improved in plasmoidviewer
> > that'd also help developers, I guess.

Marco Martin