New systray spec

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 14:22:09 CEST 2009

On Sunday 09 August 2009, Riccardo Iaconelli wrote:
> On Sunday 09 August 2009 16:01:05 Marco Martin wrote:
> > so if someone feels like giving it a read to point out most obviously
> > missing/wrong stuff is welcome :D
>
> just some brain.dump() of stuff that may be missing in the popup text:
>
> - basic alignment, could be useful to show data in a grid-like fashion. may
> be unuseful though, as you can just print "Label: Value" without caring too
> much of spacing and alignment

yeah and amarok too.
probably is possible with a table, since the tooltip subtext is a qlabel, so
with the usual poor but working support for html (i suppose tooltips of
ktorrent and amarok already use html?).
what i'm a bit on the fence is to put it in the spec, hmm...

> - does the image always need an alt text? i'm thinking of amarok's album
> art

you can send empty strings yes

> - font colors. ktorrent uses it to discriminate between upload/download.
> but then you could run into problems like black on black or similar issues.
> maybe defining some "color codes" (much like the kde color classes are
> doing) so you say "this text is warning text" and so on, and let the
> implementation deal with it?
or it could just present in different ways the tooltips of icons in different
states (passive, active, requesting attention)
hardcoded colors can become invisible on the plasma theme
color codes requires preprocessing of the string, but hmm yeah could be an
idea..
as usual yeah the <font> tag probably works, but is not really nice to propose
that tag in a 2009 standard :p

and from that comes the question: do we filter out the tags not covered in the
standard or try to display everything as is? what are supposed to do the
Notification protocol? (not NotificationItem, really Notification:p)

--
Marco Martin