[nepomuk-kde] Plasma activities and Nepomuk

Hari krishna Anandhan harikrishna.anandhan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 07:06:26 CEST 2009

Hi all,

2009/8/4 Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic+kde at gmail.com>:
> The reason I started this topic now is that we are approaching Tokamak 3
> (meeting of Plasma developers / hackaton) and I intend to work on d-bus
> interface and the nepomuk stuff.

Ivan, I would like to clear up something here: I understand that when
you are saying context, you mean the Activities the user is doing.
But, in true semantic sense, there can be a lot of other contexts
also. So, to keep things clear for both the sides, I would request to
use the word 'ActivityContext' whenever 'Activities' are intended ;)

And, as per our discussions in nepomuk, we haven't yet finalised how
ActivityContext is to be represented. Previously we were thinking of
using a dedicated ontology for it. But, now we are thinking more in
the lines of extending the PIMO to use it. Nothing is final yet...

As Sebastian Kügler says, ActivityContext could be minimally
represented as a user-given name, a QString.
But, I think we might also need a activity type (personal work,
official work, code development, leisure, academic work, community
work, anonymous, etc). If there is no type, how will you differentiate
between the different activities to show diff things as in the
usecases you have given...

> Use-cases:
>  - When John switches to the /work/ activity, he wants the favourites in
> Kickoff/KMenu/Lancelot/Raptor/... to be the applications related to work.
>  - When Eric switches to the /internet/ activity, he wants the file open/save
> dialogue to contain 'Downloads', 'Pictures' etc. folders in the places side-
> panel.
>  - Terry starts KDevelop to work on his project. The rest of the environment
> switches to /kde development/ activity.

These usecases perfectly align with what we have in mind...
Now, all we have to do is to brainstorm on the types of activities
that might be applicable ;)

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:55 AM, Leo Sauermann<leo.sauermann at dfki.de> wrote:
> here is the open source reference implementation, ontologies, documentation,
> and community site:
> http://usercontext.opendfki.de/
> http://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/wiki/UserWorkContext

Leo, the contexts discussed there are more in line with 'Gnome
Zeitgeist', where the actual user operations (called NOPs in nepomuk)
are tracked. But, as per what we have agreed earlier, for the first
phase of implementation, we are looking at a more higher-level 'User
Activity', which spans multiple apps or applets the user might use to
do his specific activity. I am sure we will cover NOPs at a later
phase, but for a start, let us just stick to ActivityContext at a
higher level. I think the plasma team is also thinking in those lines
;)

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Sebastian Kügler<sebas at kde.org> wrote:
>> the big requirements we have in plasma is the ability to have a named
>> "context" that can be associated with locations, people, documents ...
>
> projets, tasks, time periods, ... :)
All these are planned to be included in ActivityContext. But, as we
would like to evolve the ontology over time with real-life usage
(instead of long discussions over the actual structure of the
ontology), we would like to start with the bare minimum required to
represent an ActivityContext and actually implement it before we start
adding other things...

So, here is what might be the minimum required to represent ActivityContext:
- Activity name (given by user)
- Activity Type

Anything else needed ?

PS: I am now in both Plasma and Nepomuk-kde mailing lists. So, no need
to keep CCing me ;)

Cheers,
Hari