4.3 Previewer or Icon?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 6 23:08:42 CEST 2009

On Thursday 06 August 2009, David Baron wrote:
> If I am dragging a file to the desktop, then I obviously want ITS icon.

as Sebastian already noted, the key to understanding this is to realize that
it's about more than icons. the quoted sentence above comes from thinking only
in terms of the traditional desktop computer metaphore, which is wildly
antiquated compared to what people actually do with the computers today.

Sebastian gave the example of image, web and text content. i'll add one more:
folders.

if you drop a folder onto he desktop you may want an icon of it. but you may
also want to open it as a folderview. and because we have this ability to do
more than just show an icon for what you drop, you can have this.

and i think this will _really_ blossom as Sebastian's work on remote data
drops matures.

humru othro a kohnu se