Device Notifier suggestion

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Aug 6 12:16:00 CEST 2009

On Thursday 6 August 2009 06:19:20 Axel Masok wrote:
> no idea who maintains the Device Notifier in KDE4

I'm afraid it's currently: no one.
Otherwise I'd like to know, because IIRC all its bugs are affected to Alexis
who doesn't feel responsible for it anymore.

I'm more in the libsolid field, I'd love to have someone to collaborate with
for the device notifier.

> but it has no
> options other than Keyboard shortcut. Not sure if it has changed at all for
> 4.3 but at least an option to stop it from starting Dolphin when you click
> a drive that has been detected would be good.

Well, in my case I get a popup proposing other applications. If there's only
one possible choice it starts it right away if there's several it gets
proposed.

You could perfectly add an extra action to the device notifier (Device Actions
config in System Settings advanced tab).

> Simply mounting the drive is enough.

For *you*, and usually this request comes from old timer and geeks like me who
were raised with the explicit mounting of the unix world. Most people want it
to also show up some app.

What would be a better idea IMO, is to have a small "mount" button like we
have an "eject" button once the drive is mounted. Then most space is still
used for the whole application launching as it is now, and there's just this
small button in a corner for power users who just want to mount.

> Perhaps the ability to start another command other than Dolphin?

It already can... see above.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."