Please review: Virtual keyboard plasmoid - Plasmaboard

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 22:47:05 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 20:45, Aaron J. Seigo<aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> i *think* i know what you want, but i'm not 100% positive. could you do up a
> small mock-up? doesn't have to be pretty, just show exactly what you're
> wanting.
>
> what i'm thinking of based on your description is a simple Label with a solid
> background (rounded corners, though, of course ;) with the text in the middle
> of it; it would be a child of the keyboard, but hidden whenever a letter
> hasn't been pressed. when a letter is pressed, it can be shown and positioned
> manually into the right position (Corona::popupPosition might even be helpful
> there). children can move freely outside the scene rect of their parent. so
> this should be easy enough :)

Hi Aaron,

didn't my email get through at your end? I sent you a screenshot earlier today.

Of course I can't read Björn's mind, but what he probably wants, is a
solution to the problem that "at the last moment" input on a
touchscreen device is very imprecise. Because the display and the
input device are basically one thing, when your finger hits the screen
it also obscures your view of the screen. Apple solved this problem
for their soft keyboard by displaying a kind of tooltip that appears
above the pressed key. Far enough above the key, so that regular sized
fingers won't obscure the tooltip as well. A little like a highly
specialized screen loupe perhaps.

I'm not sure, because I can't read your mind either :-), what you mean
by "positioned manually into the right position", but if you mean
positioned by the user, then that's probably not what Björn meant. The
rest seems to hit it pretty well.

Perhaps searching youtube for "iphone texting" can bring final clarification.

michael