Python bindings for PopupApplet

Tim Bocek tim.bocek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 15:31:14 CEST 2009

Hello,
I am trying to write a plasma applet in Python that pops up (like the
battery monitor) when placed in the toolbar.  I gathered that using the
PopupApplet instead of Applet base class is the "right way" to do this,
rather than try and use extenders myself and reinvent the wheel.  However, I
also gather from the tutorials that I'm supposed to subclass
plasmascript.Applet instead of Plasma.Applet when creating my applet.  The
thing is, I can't find an equivalent plasmascript.PopupApplet.  I have tried
including the line

self.setApplet(Plasma.PopupApplet(self)) in the init (NOT __init__) function
for my plasmascript.Applet subclass, but this leaves me with a blank applet.

If I instead place this line in __init__, I get an exception that the
maximum recursion depth for object creation has been exceeded.

I've googled around a bit but haven't been able to find any explanation of
how to do this.  The python plasma binding tutorials on TechBase don't
explain it (though if I figure this out I'd be happy to write one that
does!)  Any ideas regarding what to do or where to look?

Thanks!
-Tim Bocek