playground's plasma spacer

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 10:11:43 CEST 2009

On 4/26/09, Marcos Dione <mdione at grulic.org.ar> wrote:

>     as I might have mentioned either in this list and/or the irc
>  channel, I'm very fond of the panel spacer that's in playground right
>  now. I even hacked a little in the Plasma::Applet class so the default
>  policy is not to ocupy as much as possible, but to yield to greedy
>  applets (commit 915261), and made both the spacer and the taskbar to be
>  greedy.
>
>     now, since a couple of weeks I think, the spacer does not work as
>  (at least I) spected. other applets compit with it for space, so I think
>  some kind of rollback has happened. I really don't mind, as I explain in
>  the next parragraph.
>
>     back in those days aaron said that the panel spacer should not
>  exist, but that plasma should have some internal thing, but not an
>  applet, to provide that functionality, and that it should exist for
>  kde4.3. when I mentioned similarities to a toolbar, aseigo said 'plasma
>  is not a toolbar'.
>
>     so, now that the spacer doesn't work again, I thought that instead
>  of trying make it work again, I should tackle aseigo's dream. but then
>  again, fixing the spacer and try to push it to kdereview is more simple,
>  and we all know developers are lazy :-P
>
>     so, before even striking any key in any direction, here are several
>  questions:
>
>     is the spacer a good enough to be fixed, pushed into kdereview and
>  maybe kde4.3 or kde4.4 while we do the right thing(tm)? or is it even a
>  good solution after all, and maybe we'll later pursue the right thing?
>
>     if the right thing(tm) is the right and only thing(tm²) (TRAOT), how
>  do you think it would behave? I mean, how do you think TRAOT should be
>  added and manipulated in the panel? and 'add an spacer before this
>  applet' entry in an applet's contex menu and a context menu for the
>  spacer itself where one can set it as a simple separator or as a
>  stretching space? I really can't think of any alternative, and surely
>  seems to me not very different to how the current spacer works.
now in trunk there is a simple spacer ingtegrated in the panel
controller, the point is not to have configuration dialogs at all,
look how it works and how it's configured...
you can try to adapt the thing and make a drop in replacement for it
adapting your spacer...
don't know if you still can do it quickly enough for 4.3, if you can
manage it ok, otherwise 4.4?