Review Request: Ported korgac systray to KNotificationAreaItem

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 20 02:14:08 CEST 2009

On Friday 17 April 2009, Allen Winter wrote:
> please tell us the plans for libknotificationareaitem.  is it going into
> kdelibs/plasma for the 4.3 release??

we're not expecting it for 4.3; we want to trial it out before committing to
BC guarantees which means trying it out on various applications and making
sure it provides for our current use cases.

> what is it exactly?

a d-bus driven replacement for the xembed system tray icons. it is data
centric rather than display centric, allowing for more information about the
icon (e.g. it's activity status, category, etc), multiple views on the same
icon and moving as many of the visualization decisions as possible to the
host.

they are faster (appearing instantly from a user's POV in the system tray) and
look much more native (whatever that means to the host system)

> are there apidox yet?

yes ... in
playground/base/plasma/libknotificationareaitem/knotificationareaitem.h

> how will this work on a non-KDE system?

it falls back to an xembed icon. in fact, if the dbus service appears and then
disappears, it will toggle even between the two modes. it does this by having
a KSystemTrayIcon as a member of the private class and instantiates that when
needed. this way, should we get to the point where there are no xembed based
implementations in wide use we can remove it but in between now and that
potential future we maintain seamless compatibility.

(this is why i really wanted to have this taken to k-c-d before starting
wholescale porting of apps. :)

humru othro a kohnu se