dbus notification area protocol implement issues

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 21:31:10 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > * all the dbus calls are synchronous; i think those will need to get
> > > changed to be async otherwise we're going to get some horrific
> > > situations where plasma sits and times out for a few minutes while an
> > > application sits there busy and grinding away ..
> >
> > hmm yeah..
> > how to do it? since when i access a property i actually need the
> > response..
>
> well.. there the ones we need response from and the ones we don't... the
> ones we don't are easy...
>
> e.g. calls to ContextMenu can be replaced with call(QDBus::NoBlock,
> "ContextMenu", x, y) and nothing will really change
>
> the good news for the other ones is that they are all in methods that do
> not return anything. which means they can get called with a callback and
> when the call returns the result can be dealt with then.
>
> it does mean that some of the methods will need to be broken up into an
> annoying cascade of calls :/ in particular, the tooltip calls in
> syncToolTip. perhaps we should have a ToolTip method on the bus that
> returns an array/struct/dict of all the tooltip data at that time?
moved tooltip stuff to a single call.
also the icon stuff has some problems, since i have to check for both an icon
name and an icon picture, hmmm thinking about it with a quite long chain of
callbacks should still be possible...
but the main roblem is that callwithcallback doesn't seem to work with
properties? (this patch hmm doesn't work)