dbus notification area protocol implement issues

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 14 10:28:23 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > * all the dbus calls are synchronous; i think those will need to get
> > changed to be async otherwise we're going to get some horrific situations
> > where plasma sits and times out for a few minutes while an application
> > sits there busy and grinding away ..
>
> hmm yeah..
> how to do it? since when i access a property i actually need the response..

well.. there the ones we need response from and the ones we don't... the ones
we don't are easy...

e.g. calls to ContextMenu can be replaced with call(QDBus::NoBlock,
"ContextMenu", x, y) and nothing will really change

the good news for the other ones is that they are all in methods that do not
return anything. which means they can get called with a callback and when the
call returns the result can be dealt with then.

it does mean that some of the methods will need to be broken up into an
annoying cascade of calls :/ in particular, the tooltip calls in syncToolTip.
perhaps we should have a ToolTip method on the bus that returns an
array/struct/dict of all the tooltip data at that time?

> > * there are dptrs in the classes ... why?
>
> hmm, i like how they look (yeah i know an instantiated class more..)
> is it a problem?

not really, no. :)

i also just noticed that in KNotificationAreaItem there are calls to
blockSignals when it's really making calls to the dbus object.. does that
really work? (i'm guessing not ..)

humru othro a kohnu se