Keyboard shortcuts and applets

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Apr 12 18:23:00 CEST 2009

On Sunday 12 April 2009, Emdek wrote:
> First one question, for what was it designed at beginning? For focusing
> applet?

yes; whatever that means for the given widget. it might pop up a menu or give
focus a line edit, for instance.

> If yes, I think that that there should be added information in
> configuration, for what is that shortcut intended. Or maybe separate it
> from rest of applet configuration

what benefit is there to this? the downsides would be more entries in context
menus, having to provide more buttons in the applet handle and having to visit
more places for configuration which in turn requires the user to build a
detailed mental model about "what kind of configuration i'm doing"

> Additionally there is problem which I've mentioned earlier:
> > One thing is clear (at least for me ;-)), that using applet's activate
> > signal for unhiding autohidden panels should be separated from activation
> > that comes from activation of applet's keyboard shortcut, because when
> > you want also to use it to perform action (for example show menu or
> > something) it will be triggered when trying to unhide panel (I saw this
> > in Tasks applet and I can't use it my plasmoid, Fancy Tasks, because I'm
> > using shortcut for displaying menu).

and for widgets where the activation results in giving focus to an editable
text area? obviously the panel can't know what the activation is going to do.

perhaps a way could be found to ensure first that the containment is visible
and once it is then actually perform the activation in Applet.

> I'm not sure if these shortcuts should be used to preform action, some
> applets doesn't provide actions that could be triggered or have more than
> one action that could be handy if possible to access it using (global)
> shortcut (maybe we need more flexible mechanism to add actions and GUI for
> configuring them).

then those applets need to provide global shortcuts for those actions; but i
really don't think there's a common need for such a thing, while there is a
common need for "activate this given widget" and it should work identically
for all widgets.

humru othro a kohnu se