Systray jobs and notifications

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Apr 10 18:58:53 CEST 2009

On Friday 10 April 2009, Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> Well, the problem kind of is that the systray shows multiple things:
> running jobs and notifications, which are distinctively different. Still

are they?

both are communicating system or application status to the user; both might
offer interaction options to the user ("Chat", "Stop", etc); jobs may turn
into notifications; notifications may turn into jobs ("So-and-so wants to send
you a file. Do you accept?" as a notification which turns into a job) ...

to the user it's all "stuff my computer is doing and trying to tell me about"

i think that while they are very different programatically, humanistically
they are actually very much the same sort of thing.

humru othro a kohnu se