Systray jobs and notifications

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 19:55:49 CEST 2009

On April 9, 2009 09:08:38 Rob Scheepmaker wrote:
> On Thursday 09 April 2009 17:48:20 dantti85-dev at yahoo.com.br wrote:
> > >Even if the icon gets some animation, it is still small and the event
> > >"notification closed" is still the same, i.e. the signal remains the
> > > same as the user might just notice the "it's gone" and not whereto.
> > > There have been people stating that they thought the job was done
> > > because the notification was closed. They e.g. pulled the cable or
> > > shut-down the computer.
> >
> > I did that once :P
> > Also i'm not sure this is already the case but if not i think
> > it would be very important to suppress power sleep and maybe
> > even login if a job is running. Not sure bad jobs would block
> > a power down but imo the usability needs to be increased.
>
> well surpress doesn't seem like an excellent idea: a warning might be a
> good idea though. Then the user understands that there are still jobs
> running, but they can still decide: screw that job and just shut down.

how do you warn the user if they close their laptop lid? :)
it does make sense for all other triggers, though.

...hmm, if the warning had a sound effect I might notice when closing my
laptop. *most* of the time I also wait for it to finish suspend before putting
it in my backpack, but it's so reliable now that I don't always check.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com