Contrast plasma::theme color issues

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:44:43 CEST 2009

On Thursday 09 April 2009, Helio Chissini de Castro wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Near to our release on next Mandriva, we got an issue related to color
> contrast in kde 4.2.x.
>
> First of all, here's the screenshot of basically the default desktop:
> http://users.mandriva.com.br/~heliocastro/mandriva_free.jpg
>
> So, we are using Aya theme, against a dark background.
> Aya theme is light, invoking black color text.
> There's where the issue comes. Pay attention to Cashew menu and most
worst,
> the text below the Trashcan in upper left.
>
> For light backgrounds with white text, there's no same issue. Happens
> always in the combination of dark background with light themes.
>
> So, for 4.4 maybe is a good idea to study this specific issue and have some
> solution for this, but for now, i'm out of a simple solution than do a ugly
> hack for solve our issues. I'm not up to fight against our local Vogons (
> also know as marketing department )
>
> So we need at least in future the possibility of set color for items like
> icon text color, desktop plasma menu text color, etc...
> I just don't know how this can fit in the current plasma theme model
no, don't thinkexploding the theme colors is a good idea, i think something
could be done to give it more contrast, like a stronger halo or a
semitransparent rounded rectangle behind the text when the text is black,
this could involve a single simple modifcation just to IconWidget
i think it should be tried with a stronger halo first, maybe just painting the
blur pixmap two times, if it's not enough trying with a rectangle background

Cheers,
Marco Martin