RunnerSyntax -> QuerySyntax

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 09:07:12 CEST 2009

Hey Aaron,

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 02:12:00 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all ...
>
> i remembered today that i'd like to do something similar for DataEngines as
> i've done for AbstractRunners so they can expose their syntax for runtime
> exploration.

Uhm, what's the use case here? The average user (imho) won't even know what a
DataEngine is, and that's actually a big plus, as we can code applets relying
on powerful engines without useless overhead for the user. I agree though that
DataEngines are worth being documented, mostly for developers.

With some changes, we could surely adapt the current *Syntax to work well (not
only) with DataEngines too.

> and i realized at that point that RunnerSyntax is probably not overly
> specific to runners... but rather to documenting what you can do with
> queries.
>
> it occurred to me that perhaps i should rename RunnerSyntax to QuerySyntax
> and look into using it for DataEngines and Services. thoughts?

The rename looks sensible in this case, but again we should also think about
the implementation. Sure such a thing for engines is surely needed also
(hint,hint) in preparation for Plasmate. (Having a very simple and on the go
documentation for engines would be a big plus for our Plasmate users)

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B