Systray jobs and notifications

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 7 03:04:32 CEST 2009

On Monday 06 April 2009, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> On Monday 06 April 2009 08:01:16 pm Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >
> > > That's a very good idea... but what if there are both notifications and
> > > jobs present?
> >
> > how about: animate the spinner if there are jobs, show the number of jobs
> > and notifications combined?
>
> What information are you trying to find out when you look at the widget?
> Total number of jobs (progress bars), or the number of jobs that have
> finished and are ready to be opened (notifications)?

both, i think.

> I think the idea of using animation to indicate a current job running is a
> good idea. Is there an icon designed for this yet? At first I thought of an
> animated Down arrow (a metaphor that is used throughout KDE4 in download
> icons), but Aaron mentions a spinner that could work too.

bonus is that we already have the spinner and we've been using it around kde
(plasma, gwenview, dolphin .. i keep seeing it in new places :P)

> He also mentions using a number to indicate some state. I think the only
> relevant information would be how many files are completed, but that number
> by itself may (or may not) be confusing. I'm not sure if some users will
> think of it as the total number of files instead of completed, or if that
> is something that can easily be learned. What about completed/total? Would
> that be too big compared to just using completed or total?

we could make room for it; but then we're back to "what does the total number
include?"

it could be either jobs only or jobs + notifications ... *thinks*

in the case that there are 2 jobs downloading, one finished and a kopete chat
update notification would it say:

2/3
3/4
2/4

to me, 3/4 makes the most sense. if there are no jobs running we could drop
the first number and just show the total?

or we could show no number and just the spinner unanimated in the case of only
notifications. however, it would be nice to see that number grow if new
notifications appear.

seele?

humru othro a kohnu se