Tool tips ideas

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 10:48:33 CEST 2009

On Monday 06-04-2009 00:17:18 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> Also there could be
>> passed enumerator member (for example Preview, Icon, Text) to tell which
>> widget was activated.
>
> yes, that makes complete sense. we'd probably also need to pass a url as
> well
> in the case of some text being clicked.

Also there is problem with multiple window previews, we need to know with was activated. And enumerator Preview1, Preview2 etc. doesn't make sense, so there must be passed WId in this case.

>> (easy to

>> > do we need a point, or just what was actually activiated? (e.g. which
>> > link or
>> > which action)
>>
>> Maybe there could be passed with event object as parameter (so we could
>> get
>> information about position, used mouse buttons etc.)?
>
> so that everyone can interpret "what to do" differently? i dunno ..
> sounds a
> bit over-engineered and a recipe for inconsistency.

It depends what we want to allow, from perspective of someone that manages and supports API it should be restricted as much as possible to narrow possible problems range. ;-)
So this could for example:
activated(ToolTipWidget, MouseButton) <- allows to trigger action for given widget using left, middle, right mouse button, but only single click but are we really need double clicking here? Three possibilities should be enough for start.
activated(WId, MouseButton) <- the same as before, but for window previews, especially for multiple previews.
activated(KUrl, MouseButton) <- for urls (maybe QString instead of KUrl, I don't know...).
And that QPoint could be useful mainly for these strange context menus, but they aren't something typical and aren't something that is required and anyway they could be shown using widget coordinates.