Some systray notifications ideas

Emdek emdeck at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 12:40:01 CEST 2009

Hello

This time I would like to share some of my ideas regarding these infamous progress notifications that were moved to systray starting from KDE 4.2.
I don't know how it currently look in trunk so maybe they were already implemented or at least proposed.

First idea is about making autohide of progress information dialog optional and defaults to not hide.
This is because when it hides people sometimes thing that job is finished with is extremely danger when for example moving data.
I've read that there is already added configuration dialog for disabling these notifications at all and show them in traditional way, so maybe there could be added option to disable autohide.

Second idea is to make current information icon in systray (shown when there are jobs) animate when job is progressing (like in Amarok 1.4 when playing songs).
There could be problem for multiple jobs running simultaneous but then progress could be averaged.
Or maybe there could be shown multiple icons, each for one kind of job or separate icons for more danger jobs, like moving and copying files.

I've also one question by the way, will be possible to get list of WId of windows connected to entry (if any)?

Best regards
Michał