kdereview status updates

Petri Damstén petri.damsten at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 09:48:57 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 01:15:37 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> paste
> -------
> verdict: this one is ok, but perhaps not quite ready to move yet
>
> * when first added to the canvas it has a size issue: you can see this
> because the standard background is the wrong size at first until it is
> resized * doesn't work in the panel either

It's Plasma::PopupApplet:
- Shouldn't popup applet take care of initial resize?
- How does it not work on panel (works for me)?

> * extensibility should probably be worked out first, e.g. extending with
> scripts, or ..?

It already has several macros (shown only in tooltip though):
exec(program) - Execute command and get output.
e.g. %{exec(sh myscript.sh)}
file - Insert file contents (Supports kio slaves)
time - Current time.
date - Current date.
password(character count, character set) - Random password.
Character set:
a = lowercase letters
A = upper case letters
0 = numbers
# = symbols
e.g. %{password(12, aA0)}

Is this what you meant?

> weather_station
> ---------------------
> verdict: move to kdeplasma-addons
>
> * this one is really nice, imo; we could probably improve the config dialog
> a bit

If I have understood correctly Weather Applet is getting new config dialog
soon. LCD weather could use the same dialog (current is also from Weather
Applet).

> * when added to the panel it sizes alright .. but it looks odd. not a
> showstopper for addition as it doesn't mess up the rest of the panel, but
> this could probably become a PopupApplet

ok. Icon could be lcd showing temperature and full applet for popup.

Petri