playground applets

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 30 06:33:35 CEST 2008

holy crap do we have a lot of applets in playground.

i started sorting and sifting through them, and while i'm not nearly done i
suppose it's at least a start. here's my results so far, comments welcome:

candidates for base 4.2
=============
life
activitybar - neat concept; has layout issue on planar
systray-refactor - needs the plasmoid protocol finished out, but generally
there. (notifications?)
kuiserver - or should this also be added to the systemtray?

candidates for addons 4.2
=============
bball  - works; cute

priorities for 4.2
==========
keyboardLeds - a MUST HAVE. however, needs proper art, cover all the keys, and
not polling but use the x11 a11y stuff. see:

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdeaccessibility/kbstateapplet/kbstate.cpp?view=markup

working
=====
cia.vc - working; usefulness? summary stats? scroll area? hum.

needs more work
===========
train-clock -  sizing oddnesses (see difference between clock size and the
standard background)
commandwatch - should use exec dataengine; should use a scrolling text area;
wrong PluginInfo-Name style
contacts  - should require config on 0 contacts; contacts sould be clickable;
scrollable area for items; in panel, a paged mode?
eyes - what would life be without eyes? ;) needs oxygenation though; too old
school as it is
konsolator - really nice idea, tons of repaint issues

broken
====
debugapplet - really cool idea; needs kdelibs patches commited, lots of
problems in the applet itself

remove?
======
groupphoto
java
samplegl
samplegl2
desktop
extendified_notify - once we've got the systray-refactor down
fortune-teller - nice idea, but not ported from the 4.0 API
knet - not ported from the 4.0 API for starters
rot13 - not ported from the 4.0 API for starters
qedje - we have the script engine now

humru othro a kohnu se