KJots on Plasma

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 23:38:50 CEST 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 25 September 2008, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> The idea would be that the plasmoid would display either all of your
>> kjots notes, or only a particular kjots book, or notes tagged with a
>> particular
>
> cool!
>
> (i actually maintined kjots in kde3 and gave it its current
> tree-on-the-left- content-on-the-right interface with things like full
> book overview, etc .. Jaison took it further with the start of rich text
> editting and the initial kde4 port .. so cool to see this app continue on!
> it got its start in kde1 .. yes *ONE*.. =)

Yep, 11 years: http://websvn.kde.org/?view=rev&revision=155 That's probably
before 1.0.

>> Syncronization:
>> KJots has been a KUniqueApplication since before I started working on it.
>> This is presumably so that two running KJots instances can not have out
>> of sync edits to the same page.
>
> yes, that's correct.
>
>> However if pages can be edited in a plasmoid,
>> that would be possible. I *think* that if I write an akonadi resource for
>> kjots, akonadi would keep all views on the data up to date (
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.pim/22743). If someone else
>> is more familiar with this kind of thing and whether akonadi is needed at
>> all, please let me know.
>
> that'd be a question for the pimsters.. i *think* the answer is "yes,
> that's correct" but they'd know better than me =)

Seems to be it exactly. I asked about the case where you have two plasmoids
displaying the same page for edit, and you drag text from one to the other.

<steveire> Does akonadi take care of a case where I have two plasmoids
displaying the same page for edit, and I drag text from one to the other?
<till> steveire: if you use the models in both plasmoids, yes, but I guess
the data bakcends for the plasmoid need to handle it too

>> Using existing code:
>> There is already a KJotsComponent which is a QWidget contains all the
>> functionality in kjots. It is used by the standalone application and by
>> the kpart which gets loaded in kontact. I think I read that plasma can
>> use QWidgets directly because of QGraphicsView(?). Does that mean that I
>> can simply put that widget into a plasmoid and I'll be finished?
>
> yes, that's about it; i'd recommend using a Plasm::PopupApplet, so when it
> is in the panel you'll get a button to click on that will show the content
> in a popup.

I tried putting the KJotsComponent into a plasmoid. I got it to compile, but
I didn't get it to work. I just get a black box when I try to load it with
plasmoidviewer.

It might just be that that component is not suitable to be used in this way.
I could possibly use the plasma widgets if that's the case. I've attached
my attempt in case I've done anything obviously wrong.

Cheers,

Steve.