tasks-refactor issues

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at gmx.ch
Thu Sep 25 23:28:45 CEST 2008

oops i put a little to much text in my last mail...
Resending it without the garbage on top =)

> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:35:19 +0200
> From: notmart at gmail.com
> To: plasma-devel at kde.org
> Subject: Re: tasks-refactor issues
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 11:51 PM, Christian Mollekopf <chrigi_1 at gmx.ch> wrote:
> >> * multiple rows are still missing
> >>

> > yes, yet to be added. I was thinking of subclassing LayoutWidget (it isn't a widget anymore, actually...) from
> > QGraphicsGridLayout and adding some variables where we can set a fixed collumncount or a maximum count of collumns
> > which would be automatically added or removed as needed.
> thinking about it i can see a problem with the curent layout, when a
> group is expanded it couldn't fit in the external grid, so it should
> either only allow popup menu for showing group items or the expanded
> items should be in the main layout

 Yes i see the problem..., but i don't think adding the expanded taskitems
 to the mainlayout would be a good option, because we cant give the expanded groups a distinctive
 layout with a color then.
 We could move the expanded group to the next line if there isn't enough room for it,
 but this is probably mostly irritating if everything moves around.

 Another idea would be to "zoom in" the group, so only the expanded group is visible
 (and a return button or something). So normally one would use the expanded group popup,
 and if you currently work solely on a certain set of tasks you can expand it and everything else dissapears.

> >> * i'm getting a consistent crash-on-exit with program grouping is on
> >>

> > me too...
> i also often (but not always) when changing virtual desktop and show
> only current desktop windows option is on, so could be something in
> the destruction of either window,group or layoutitems

I couldn't reproduce this error yet.
But currently i'm having an even worse one. All
WindowTaskItems and TaskGroupItems don't have a text anymore,
although the tooltip is fine.

> >> but we have a biggers issue with the new widget than above, mostly to do with
> >> user interaction. here are the outstanding issues i see:
> >>

> >> * all grouping interaction is done via the context menu. this is a non-
> >> starter. there absolutely must be visual feedback on this, e.g. an arrow to
> >> expand collapsed groups
> >
> > I'm not sure if i got this right. Do you mean, that it isn't obvious that items can be grouped
> > by dragging them with alt pressed (i agree) and that there should be a context menu for this action,
> > or do you mean that there should be a different way for expanding/collapsing than the contextmenu (i agree as well)?
> think both of things :)
> >

> > Yes i experimented a bit with the setStretchFactor function of QGraphicsLinearLayout but i couldn't get it to work....
> in the playground version i've got it mostly working, i've banged my
> head a lot on this layouting issue in various places, the only
> solution i think there is for now is to bouncing around signals that
> invalidates the layout
> >> * i had no clue how to trigger manual grouping
> >>

> > Yep, it done by dragging with alt pressed, but i agree this isn't obvious at all =)
> >

> >> so ... how to interact with grouped items ...
> >>
> >> expanding groups:
> >>
> >> * a single click on a collapsed group could expand it
> >>

> > I know that you don't like the cycling mechanism very much aaron, but i do (and marco apparently also) =)
> > (although its maybe really more the developer in me that likes it...)
> > The order is kind of predictable because its exactly same as shown in the expanded group.
> >
> >> * an expand arrow when clicked could could expand it
> >>

> > Since its maybe hard to hit a rather small expand arrow we could add it, but keep the current fuctionality
> > with double clicking? Another idea i had for expanding and collapsing is a group widget border that can be grabbed
> > and pulled that the group expands or collapses.
> >
> >> * something else .. ?
> >>
> >> showing expanded groups:
> >>
> >> * we could do it like in kicker and show a popup with the grouped window
> >> inside that popup.
> >>

> > I thought we could show such an expanded group widget instead of the tooltip, when you keep your mouse
> > over the group for a sec or so.
> >
> >> * an expanded group could overlay other buttons, temporarily 'taking over' the
> >> tasks widget
> >>
> >> * an expanded group could push other buttons aside, giving the buttons inside
> >> as much room as buttons not in the group (making an all-groups-expanded
> >> taskbar as cluttered as the current bar)
> >>
> > I would really prefer if a taskbar with all groups expanded is as cluttered as the old one.
> > If you just want to temporarily access a task you can do it with the tooltip like popup
> >
> >> * something else .. ?

Regards Chris