Extender api review round 4

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Sun Sep 21 17:59:06 CEST 2008

On Saturday 20 September 2008 16:08:44 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> I prefer the first one (the loadItems() one) because when you read already
> written code it's more obvious what's going on (or you call loadItems()
> manually, or the QTimer as I propose). Otherwise your second proposal tends
> to make it too "magic" and convention-based IMO.

Actually, now that I'm trying to implement this, I suddenly realize why this
approach wasn't possible. initExtenderItem is always called on the source
applet, since that's the applet that knows how to initialize the thing. And
this isn't necessary the same applet as the one instantiating the Extender. It
might even be that the original applet isn't around anymore and is
instantiated only temporarily just for instantiating extender item's widgets.
So I think having initExtenderItem in applet is unavoidable (well, it could
also be in extender but the requirement of having to implement an extender is
not so nice)

Regards,
Rob Scheepmaker