The Tasks DataEngine

Alain Boyer alainboyer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 14:22:53 CEST 2008

2008/9/16 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> On Tuesday 16 September 2008, Alain Boyer wrote:
>> This led me to take a look at the tasks data engine and applet. I was
>> surprised to see that they don't talk to each other.
>
> there's another person working on the tasks applet atm, so probaby good you
> started with the engine =)

if "another person" is reading this, maybe we could combine our efforts!

>> My first task (no
>> pun intended) was to extend the data engine.
>>
>> My goal is to completely encapsulate the taskmanager library within
>> the tasks data engine. My theory is that this would simplify the
>> existing tasks applet and allow the creation of other task-like
>> applets without re-writing code.
>
> yes...
>
>> I have some code that adds a custom task DataContainer and Service.
>> This allows you to interact (maximize, minimize...) with windows using
>> a service. It works, but it seems like a lot of overhead to simply
>> minimize a window...
>
> have you actually measured it? if so, what's the cost, both in terms of
> instantiation time and memory usage?

i'll look into this, it sounds like a good excuse to really learn how
to use valgrind...

> note that even if we don't use this (due to overhead) in the main task applet,
> it would still be highly useful to other applets (i already ran into this with
> the ktorrent applet)

ok, i'll see if i can't come up with a design that allows 2
interaction methods (one via a service and the other directly using
the taskmanager library).

I don't have an svn account at the moment. Should I prepare a patch
for the existing tasks data engine in kdebase or one for a new tasks
data engine in playground?

Alain.