Weather plasmoid development

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 14:00:18 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008, Edwin de Jong wrote:
> Hi everyone, (cross-posting to plasma-devel and kde-artists)
>
> In short: I wondered: if you're an artist with svg skills if you like to
> help me with the weather plasmoid and if you're from the plasma-devs list
> to give an opinion. Oh, and to you all for ideas and such.
>
> In the coming days I'll be busy with the weather plasmoid. I already
> overhauled quite a lot of the code, recreated the configuration GUI, made
> it dockable in the panels and the fonts and colours are settable now. It
> even resizes nicely.
sooo, is a modification of the current applet? a new one? is Shawn aware of
this? (wouldn't be better working together, isn't it?:)

> Tomorrow I expect also the location chooser to work nicely in a treeview to
> select your continent, country and city. Besides this I plan to make it
> show the weather forecast.
>
> I wondered, for those of you with svg skills, if you wanted to work on some
> extra 'gadgets' around the plasmoid, such as a working wind vane,
> thermometer, etc. etc. There is already a set of icons for the weather
> conditions. The deal is: you give me the svg files, I'll *try* to code them
> in :)
>
> I already made a wind-direction indicator thingy in svg which we could
> try to work on further... The problem just is, I either work on the code,
> or on the svg, but not both at the same time. The indicator svg file is in
> the attachment.
>
> For the plasma developers: the widget essentially pulls its data from
> weather.yahoo.com. I hope that is not a problem? It's not really in line
> with the OSS spirit, but the widget in KDE 3 did more or less the same.
> Also, I wouldn't really know where else to get the data from.
it's a new dataengine? (hope the data fetching isn't directly into the
applet:)
btw the problem is not much if it's in line of the oss spirit, there are
already applets that pull data from commercial services like twitter.
the problem is if yahoo terms of use permits to do so, often they are sooo
unclear that is even difficult to know if we are allowed (that's why there
aren't engines that pulls data from weather.com for instance)

Cheers,
Marco Martin