Weather plasmoid development

Edwin de Jong g.e.dejong at student.utwente.nl
Wed Sep 17 02:05:53 CEST 2008

Hi everyone, (cross-posting to plasma-devel and kde-artists)

In short: I wondered: if you're an artist with svg skills if you like to help
me with the weather plasmoid and if you're from the plasma-devs list to give
an opinion. Oh, and to you all for ideas and such.

In the coming days I'll be busy with the weather plasmoid. I already
overhauled quite a lot of the code, recreated the configuration GUI, made it
dockable in the panels and the fonts and colours are settable now. It even
resizes nicely.

Tomorrow I expect also the location chooser to work nicely in a treeview to
select your continent, country and city. Besides this I plan to make it show
the weather forecast.

I wondered, for those of you with svg skills, if you wanted to work on some
extra 'gadgets' around the plasmoid, such as a working wind vane, thermometer,
etc. etc. There is already a set of icons for the weather conditions. The deal
is: you give me the svg files, I'll *try* to code them in :)

I already made a wind-direction indicator thingy in svg which we could
try to work on further... The problem just is, I either work on the code, or
on the svg, but not both at the same time. The indicator svg file is in the
attachment.

For the plasma developers: the widget essentially pulls its data from
weather.yahoo.com. I hope that is not a problem? It's not really in line with
the OSS spirit, but the widget in KDE 3 did more or less the same. Also, I
wouldn't really know where else to get the data from.

For the rest: I really welcome new ideas!

Regards,

Edwin de Jong