Possible reasons for Sleep/Hibernate not working

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Sep 14 20:13:17 CEST 2008

On Sunday 14 September 2008 15:23:17 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 14.09.08 04:04:35, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 September 2008, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Just installed kde4 on my new laptop and I'm seeing both hibernate and
> > > sleep are "grayed" out and nothing happens when I click on them - in
> > > the menu that is.
> > >
> > > I'm wondering what I could be missing to enable those two, configuring
> > > kdebase didn't "complain" about any missing optional packages and I'm a
> > > bit unsure where to start looking for the right switch.
> > >
> > > Please CC me on replies as I'm not subscribed to this list (anymore)
> > > and already sorry for posting a kind-of-a-user question here - but
> > > there's no plasma-user yet unfortunately. (and kde list is far too
> > > crowded for me)
> > >
> > > Andreas
> >
> > Do you have acpid installed? I'm not sure if thats all thats needed
> > though, but its one major part.
>
> Indeed I didn't. However I've noticed last night that while the sleep
> option in the menu doesn't do anything, the option on the "shutdown
> dialog" does work here.

I've noticed that too, suspend from the logout dialog works, suspend from
kickoff's leave menu doesn't do anything. Looks like a bug in kickoff to me.

> Andreas

> Even after installing acpid (which was a tad bit problematic, as hal
> already occupied /proc/acpi/event) the two options in kickoff don't work
> here, while the ones from the drop-down in the logout dialog do work.

acpid is fairly irrelevant here, this is all done through Solid and ultimately
HAL (on Linux, at least). You can check with solid-powermanagement if the UI
is doing something wrong, or if the issue is in or below Solid in the stack,
for example:

solid-powermanagement query suspend
--
sebas