power management settings mockup

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sat Sep 13 05:41:26 CEST 2008

On Saturday 13 September 2008 02:30:27 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2008, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > (I'm on the list, CC:ing me not necessary, it confuses my filtering ...)

> > > Please wait for my mock before doing any code.
> >
> > I've already *done* some code on this (as I've indicated on IRC last
> > monday already), and I'd rather not wait for a different UI proposal (and
> > basically throw away seele's and aseigo's effort in reviewing the current
> > one).
>
> that UI proposal was done a while ago, actually. i assumed you were working
> together and instead decided on this. it turns out that we have had two
> people working independently on this even though both knew the other was
> doing something. let's see if we can't bring it back together.

The code written is the part that's independent of the UI (basically playing
around with different ways of doing the popup, leading the the recent changes
in popupapplet). On my disk, the dialog is currently empty, so we don't need
to bring together any code. (Assuming the dialog popping up from the applet is
common ground, which I understand it is.) :>

That said, I did see a proposal similar to mine flying by on Monday but didn't
quite have the time to work on that, then vaguely based the proposal above on
that (but more on experiences I've gathered with powermanager earlier, and
with using powerdevil for some days.

Bottom line, I don't think any noticable amount of duplicate work has been
done (especially not given the amount of possible interaction problems with
this kind of thing.

I really see the iterative process here as key, not whose inital mockup we
take as a departing point.

> > We'll take this mockup as a basis, play around with it, and do a couple
> > of iterations until the user interface is good. So I'd rather have your
> > feedback based on the current mockup and take that into account than
> > "wait for my mockup with that". I don't like to be blocked like this ...
>
> i appreciate that you've done some code and work on this, but this mockup
> was shown around and as far as i know you were also aware of it?
>
> while it's not fun to be blocked by waiting for others, i don't think the
> answer is "well, i've got this here, so that's what we'll use". certainly
> code written trumps no code written, but let's not be inflexible about it
> either.
>
> i'd like to see Riccardo's proposal on this list, we can discuss the
> benefits or lack thereof of it, see who is willing to actually write code
> for it (if anyone) and move on from there.

Yes, sure, me too. If this mockup has yet to be created or improved, it should
take into account these results of the first round. I think we've found a nice
humber of interaction problems we need to solve, we've hardly arrived at
anything that can be implemented right now (well, modulo some basic plumbing,
which is what I've been doing yesterday).

We're not so far apart, maybe I didn't make this clear enough. This "your
mockup - my mockup" sounds quite alien to me, instead I'd appreciate
Riccardo's art direction in this (which is I think one of his strengths and
certainly none of mine). Still we need to marry usability, art and the
technical bits (my expertise in this being the latter, from past work on
powermanagement) ...
--
sebas